Now I think I understand, because armies are not alone in traveling on their stomachs -- we all do it, and the 700 members of the MV Explorer shipboard community were no exception. Food on the ship was bland and repetitive (yet perfectly healthy and adequate), relieved somewhat by stellar soups and a few interesting vegetable and vegetarian dishes. But the monotony only made it that much more fun to explore new taste treats in each port. Here are some random thoughts (and pictures) on our food experiences:
- In Japan, I loved the vending machines where you selected your food and inserted money to pay for it, then sat down and waited for a server to bring it to you. Everything was so clean and organized, and beautifully arranged. Biggest surprise: Finishing a meal only to realized I hadn’t opened one container -- which was fortunate, since it was some sort of foul-smelling fermented bean paste that would have totally ruined my appetite.
- We had at least eight or 10 meals in China sitting in groups around big tables with the lazy susans in the center, and had virtually no duplication of dishes, except for the rice. I especially enjoyed some crispy, delicate fried corn, but there were several great eggplant dishes as well.
- I think Vietnam and Cambodia had the most amazing and incredible food on the trip. Everything I tried, from noodles dishes to dumplings to fish stews, was fragrant, flavorful and soul-satisfying. If you ever go to Saigon, be sure to eat at Lemongrass, which had deservedly been highly recommended to us. I’m so happy to think about exploring all the Vietnamese restaurants back in Portland.
- India presented its own challenges, as raw fruits and vegetables are absolutely off limits for health reasons. I love the flavors of Indian cooking, but it was sad to see so many interesting salads and fruits and have to pass them by. Sadder still to see so many people begging for food.
- South Africa has some excellent restaurants, and the European influence was strong where we traveled, although I talked with several students who found a more authentic African experience. We had a good lunch at a winery with a top chef, where Bob had Cape salmon and I tried a salad made with springbok biltong, sort of like jerky but not tough. At our anniversary dinner I tried impala, and when I went on my safari without Bob, they served roast lamb that had been locally raised on one of the sheep farms.
- In Ghana we tried genuine West African food. The downside of that is that they use a lot of oily fish that has a strong flavor, but there were some good roast chicken dishes and some interesting spinach and chili sauces. We really liked the fried plantains, called kelewele, and the chicken with rice dish called jollof rice. Ghanaians also serve a big dough ball called fufu, which we liked about as much as people like poi, and which is usually dropped into a fishy stew called forowe.
- Brazilian food blends Portuguese and African cooking traditions. They are known for a thick stew of black beans and pork called feijoada, and for a dish called farofa, or ground manioc. Manioc is sort of like potato, but they also grind it and sprinkle it on other dishes sort of like a topping. We also had the Brazilian grill experience, where roving waiters slice off all sorts of grilled meats, and we had some great seafood. Of course, anything tastes good after one or two caipirinhas, the national cocktail. This drink is similar to a mojito but it’s made with a sugarcane liquor called cachaça, and I’m bringing home a bottle. Come see us!







No comments:
Post a Comment